What I Learned in the Bahamas

I just returned from the Bahamas. The weather was great. The beaches was made of wonderful white sand and the ocean water was translucent blue. I guess this is why they call it paradise!

However, a constant reminder I had not ascended to a heavenly plane, was the ever-present and persistent voices of the beach vendors. 

"Are you ready for a coconut drink?" "Do you want to jet ski?" "Get your hair braided." "Buy a bracelet." "Ride the banana boat." "Get cuban cigars." There were more, but these are the sales pitches that kept me from completely drifting off to sleep to the sound of the oceans waves. 

Although a bit put out, I could not be angry. I knew these vendors were trying to make a living. I actually admired their persistence. Apparently the vendors know that they has a small window of opportunity with each prospect. The luxury of a "be back" is not available. Every tourist they do not sell today is an opportunity lost. 

Here is how I was sold something I didn't particularly want at the time. 

As I walked into the beach area with my daughters, before I could even pick a spot on the sand, I was approached. 

Him - Are you ready for a coconut drink, my friend?
Me - No I don't think so. Not right now. 
Him - Do you like Bahama Mama or Pina colada?
Me - I don't know. I really don't want a drink any alcohol yet. 
Him - No problem! I make it unleaded for you! If you buy 2 you get a free refill!
Me - No. That's ok. Maybe later. 
Him - Oh, come on now, mon! You are on vacation! I make the best drinks on the island. Do you like.     Bahama Mama or Pina colada? 
Me - Well... Probably Bahama Mama.(I turn to my daughter hoping to get an out) What do you think? Do you want something? ( She said, we won't be in this part of the beach to get our refills)
Him - No problem... I make the first one now, you can drink it here and I will refill, or come back later. I will remember you. 
(By he has chopped the top off of 2 coconuts and put ice in them)
Him - You say, Bahama Mama? 
Me - Yes. 

The street vendor closed me 6 TIMES to sell me two $10 drinks!! How crazy is that when real estate agents will not use any closes to over come objections to make a 5, 10, 20 thousand dollars sale!?!

My two take-aways from my visit to the beach were:
1. The decision to spend more time at the resort where there are no vendors.
2.  There is a sale made on every call. Either we sell the prospect on why they should buy right now, or they prospect sells us on why they won't. 

We should always sell like we are making a living. Every lead we do not sell today is an opportunity lost.